Nutrients We Limit

Simplifying Our Ingredients

recipe-good-food

Our nutrition strategy focuses on simplifying ingredients by removing artificial flavors, colors, preservatives and additives such as trans fat, reducing sodium and lowering calories and fats.

We’ve made measurable progress toward our goals to eliminate 100 percent of partially hydrogenated oil,
artificial flavors and artificial coloring by 2020. In 2017, based on data representing 75 percent of our global store count, an estimated 97 percent of food items were free of partially hydrogenated oil, an estimated 70 percent were free of artificial flavors, and an estimated 78 percent had removed artificial coloring.

A major focus area has been reduction of sodium across our brands. Currently, 15 percent of Pizza Hut pizzas have just one-third of the daily recommended dietary allowance for sodium, and 20 percent of its pizzas will meet that criteria by 2020. Over the last five years, Pizza Hut has lowered the sodium content in all its core dough crusts globally by 25 percent, the lowest point possible without affecting functionality, as well as lowering the sodium content in its cheeses globally by between 25 and 35 percent. Pizza Hut has provided country business units the option to choose between standard and low-sodium options, and markets in Asia, Australia, Canada, Europe and Korea have opted in.

Since 2008, Taco Bell has reduced sodium by 15 percent on average across the menu, the equivalent of 1.5 million pounds of salt removed each year from consumers’ diets. By 2025, Taco Bell will expand that commitment to an additional 10 percent, for a total of 25 percent sodium reduction across the menu and is well on its way to achieving this goal. Meanwhile, KFC works with suppliers and nutrition experts to find opportunities to reduce sodium in its menu items where feasible.

NO
ARTIFICIAL
trans fat

(KFC U.K.)

  • In the U.S., all KFC menu items are free of food dyes (with the exception of beverages and third-party products). In addition, artificial colors and flavors will be removed from our core products by the end of 2018.
  • KFC U.K. products are free of artificial trans fat. The brand in the UK met its goal of removing artificial colors and flavors from its own brand ingredients by 2017.
  • KFC China launched a new mayonnaise recipe for burgers that reduced fat content from 70 to 35 percent.
  • Since 2010 KFC Australia has worked across its core menu offerings to reduce sodium, and in 2012 changed its cooking oil from sustainably sourced palm oil to locally sourced high-oleic canola oil and also introduced side salads options as well as permanent grilled/baked menu choices. KFC Australia continues to look for ways in which it can make further improvements.
  • KFC Australia products are free from artificial trans fat and is working to remove all artificial colors and flavors by the end of 2018.

NO
MSG, BHA/BHT OR HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP

  • In 2015, Pizza Hut U.S. became the first national pizza company to remove artificial flavors and colors from its core pizzas and WingStreet products, and is committed to the same goal internationally by 2018. As of 2017, Pizza Hut had removed approximately 72 percent and 78 percent of artificial flavors and coloring, respectively, from all food ingredients.
  • Pizza Hut domestically and internationally has eliminated partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs) from its entire menu.  Pizza Hut U.S. has eliminated MSG from its core menu and BHA/BHT from pepperoni.
  • Pizza Hut U.S. adds no sugar or oil to its pizza marinara sauce, and its cheese is made from 100 percent whole milk mozzarella.

NO
ARTIFICIAL
FLAVORS &
COLORS

  • In 2015, Taco Bell removed all artificial flavors and colors, replacing them with natural alternatives. The brand also removed high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils (also known as artificial trans fat) from its food. These simplifications impact more than 95 percent of the Taco Bell menu, not including beverages and co-branded items.
  • In 2017, Taco Bell eliminated the XL 40 oz. soda cup size, helping consumers remove 800 million grams of sugar and approximately 3.2 billion calories from their diets each year. It also replaced three full-calorie beverages with three zero-to-mid-calorie options, equivalent to a 15 percent reduction in added sugar across the beverage portfolio.
  • By the end of 2018, Taco Bell will remove preservatives and other additives from its food, where possible.